Hello my lovelies! In case you haven’t noticed, I haven’t posted much lately. It’s the middle of June and I’m a high school English teacher…that’s just the way it goes, I’m afraid. Since it’s already after 9 and I teach a 6am fitness class tomorrow, this will be a “random things” type of post….here goes….
1. My husband went back to work today – I was spoiled and got to spend an extra 2 days with him, since he had a specialist appointment today and therefore didn’t go back to work on Monday when the rest of his shift started. It was lovely to have those two extra days.
2. I wish he was home every night.
3. I only have one week of classes left before exams. That is both exhilarating (because it means the end is VERY near), and terrifying (because I have A LOT of marking and other work to accomplish in the next week).
4. One of my closest work friends resigned from her teaching position and will be moving; it’s a bit of a ridiculous story and I can’t really get into it here since airing any sort of gripes about colleagues, administration or my school division is against the Teacher’s Code of Conduct and could get me into a lot of trouble. I feel incredibly sad because the students are losing an amazing teacher, and I am losing a wonderful colleague and a great friend. It sucks. We had an assembly today, so the kids said their goodbyes and presented her with a gift. I cried.
5. There are a lot of things about my career that are making me very unhappy lately. Those things have absolutely nothing to do with my students.
6. I love my students, and if it were just about the teaching, I would be in my glory.
7. My husband told me to quit last week – not to give my notice, but to actually quit – because he is so fed up with seeing my frustration and tears. Sometimes I think he’s right: no amount of money is worth my sanity and self-worth. On the other hand, it makes zero sense for me to actually quit at this point in my life.
8. We have a plan. That plan does not include quitting my job. It does include making some changes to how I do things so that I can reduce my workload. That should help a bit. It won’t eliminate the other issues (the ones I can’t talk about online without risk of breaking the Teacher Code of Conduct!), but it’s a start.
9. My fitness classes are going well. My students want me to run Summer classes, and I had fully intended to do so…but now it looks as though there might be an issue with the venue I use being unavailable to me over the Summer, so I’m not entirely sure what is going to happen on that front.
10. Maybe that’s the Universe trying to tell me that I need to take the Summer off of teaching and just focus on my own fitness, running and yoga practice….
11. Today is Day 22 of my 30 Day Yoga Challenge.
12. I kind of cheated on the Yoga Challenge on the weekend: I played in a Slo-Pitch Tournament, so I didn’t do any Yoga on Saturday or Sunday. I think I can just double up and do two 2 practice days to make up for it, but I don’t really know how that works. It’s my own damn challenge, though, so I’m saying it’s totally cool!
13. I am getting sleepy, and I really want to get to read a little bit of my book club reading selection before bed, so this will be close to the end of my post.
14. I wrote “book club reading selection” to make it sound fancy, but I’m really reading smut – Fifty Shades of Grey is what we chose for this time. I’ve only read the first few pages, but I’ve heard from some of the other ladies in my club (and virtually everyone else) that it is pretty raunchy. Whatever….my husband is away for 3 weeks, so I need something to keep myself occupied! Ha!